Monday, November 9, 2009

Andrew Bird and The Books




This is a poster I made for Andrew Bird last spring. I get really into crossing American and Japanese pop aesthetics in illustration, and this poster is definitely a good example of that. When I work on an image like this, its always from the perspective of a painting. Everything is hand painted, usually there is no drawing I work from. Sometimes there is a very loose sketch, just for shape. After that, I'm working with hand painted positives and carving back into the paint on the mylar to clean things up or get a different look. Next poster I will post pictures and descriptions of the process so you get a better idea. More soon...

check out a full pic of this poster at http://www.gigposters.com/poster/109716_Andrew_Bird.html






Another good example is this poster I did for a band I adore, The Books. It is a five screen poster with two split fountains and it was a crazy thing to realize in my head. Separating all these colors and getting them to work without looking at it ahead of time can really be togh sometimes, but I think it lends something fresh to the prints and I love the sense of surprise I get when its all finished. These prints are for sale at $35 either on my website, www.weathermakerpress.com or here at gigposters.com http://www.gigposters.com/poster/108810_Books.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I like.